I suggest you ...

Add an "archive" feature instead of draft/delete/private

I run a news site that has preview stories of events, and of course I want those previews to disappear off the homepage as soon as the events have happened. (I don't want to send people to events that are in the past, or have them click on a story only to find they're an hour or a day or a week late.)

But I don't want the stories to disappear from my site entirely — I want them to be searchable in my archives, and I don't want people linking to these stories to have dead links because I've sent my stories to draft or private status, or deleted them.

Could you add a function that just sends an expired story to the archive for that category?

Sorry if this already exists; it's possible it does and I just couldn't figure out how to do it. But it's the feature I've been waiting for on WordPress since 2009.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marc LevyMarc Levy shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GermanKiwiGermanKiwi commented  · 

What do you mean by "the archive for that category"? I don't believe WordPress categories have any kind of "archive" feature. A post simply belongs to a category, there is no separate "archive" part of a category.

I'm not a developer of this plugin, but I believe this plugin merely automates changing certain aspects of a post's status that you can already change yourself manually - eg. deleting it, changing its category, changing its status to Draft, or changing its visibility to Private. These are all things that you can do yourself manually - this plugin just does one of those things automatically for you. My point is that the plugin can't do something which WordPress itself doesn't already do. :)

• Sheldon BradshawSheldon Bradshaw commented  · 

+1. Looking for "front page" for non-expired but still searchable for "expired"

Feedback and Knowledge Base